Position: Police Sergeant
Department: Public Safety
Salary Range: $65,000 – $75,000
Benefits: The Town offers an excellent benefits package including full health, dental, and vision coverage for the employee, including insurance deductible reimbursement, partial coverage for family health, dental and vision; short- and long-term disability, life insurances and a retirement contribution package.
STATEMENT OF DUTIES
A police sergeant is a highly responsible supervisory position. A police sergeant assists in the overall direction and implementation of community policing projects, which are designed to improve the quality of life within our community.
Works under the administrative direction of the Police Chief. Generally, establishes own work plan and priorities, to complete route work assignments. New or unusual assignments may require additional instruction and supervisory review.
Performs varied and responsible complex functions requiring a thorough knowledge of departmental operations. Exercises considerable judgment in assisting the general public and in responding to inquiries, particularly in situations not clearly defined by precedent or established procedures.
- Work is spent part of the time in the field and part of the time in an office environment.
- Exposure to unpleasant physical conditions (accidents, violent crimes)
- Personal risk of very serious bodily injury or loss of life.
- Exposure to adverse environmental conditions, including extreme weather conditions (sun, temperature extremes), air pollution, loud noises and hazardous materials.
- Stress may occur due to job-related pressure and tension.
- May occasionally be the subject of intentional, hostile actions of others.
- Contact with citizens who are in highly emotional, distressed or abusive moods.
- Possibility of being attacked physically or with weapons.
- Stress as a result of constant exposure to verbal abuse, risk of serious injury or loss of life, and to marital or family difficulties aggravated by working holidays, weekends and irregular hours.
- Lifting, bending, searching for and running after and controlling persons being taken into custody.
- Standing for long periods of time.
- Exposure to blood, bodily fluids and hazards.
- Exposure to infectious disease, (i.e., AIDS, hepatitis).
Has access to department confidential information, such as personnel records, reports and personal information regarding citizens receiving services from the department. Can be assigned further confidential information as deemed necessary by Town Administrator or Police Chief.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
This candidate must understand how to process a crime scene, have knowledge of evidence preservation, understand the rules and regulations of the evidence room, and must have a strong knowledge on the creation of an evidence room. This candidate must have the ability to possess strong case management skills, a working relationship with other agencies, must have a strong knowledge of records management to assist in the implementation of a records management system, be able to assist with managing the Colorado POST portal, and work closely with the officers and the Chief. You must know how to successfully lead in a constantly changing environment. You will be required to take calls, work as a leader in a team-based environment and be able to actively participate with community policing. Must be willing to work closely with the Chief in starting a new police department.
For full description click here: Police Application Form
To apply for this position email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for this position will no longer be accepted after 5:00 P.M. Friday, September 21st.
PO Box 339
Severance, CO 80546